Foster A Pet
As an Open Door facility, Humane Animal Rescue turns away no animal in need. This results in an overabundance of cats, kittens, dogs, puppies, and small animals, especially during the warmer months. Thousands of homeless animals enter our shelters each year. Many are not quite ready for adoption and require the love and care of a foster family to prepare them for their forever home.
We depend on a unique and dedicated group of foster volunteers to help us save more lives! By fostering a homeless animal, you can experience the joys of being a pet parent without the lifetime of responsibility.
- Having your current pets up to date on vaccinations.
- Having spare space for foster animals to be separate from your own pets (possible for up to several months).
- Having enough free time to set aside for your fosters. We expect you to spend at least an hour every day with your fosters.
- Being able to reliably transport fosters back and forth to shelter when necessary.
- Being able to let go. It can be very difficult to let go once you have become emotionally attached to the animals. Know that the love you give means they are more likely to find a forever home!
- Being patient. The first day probably won’t be perfect. It will get easier!
Humane Animal Rescue Provides:
- All necessary medication and medical care
- Food and litter (when donations are available)
- Education on how to care for your foster animal
- A safe and nurturing environment for your foster animal
- Socialization for shy animals
- A chance for sick animals to recover