Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Humane Animal Rescue. Our volunteers are the key to the success of our shelters. Committed volunteers socialize, walk, groom, showcase, and cuddle the homeless animals entrusted to our care. They also show animals at offsite locations, work special events, and expand their knowledge of animal behavior. On a very limited basis, we can occasionally accept project volunteers who prefer to only commit to a single day of service as a group, or individuals who prefer to dedicate their specialized skills and expertise in ways that do not involve animal handling (such as clerical work, fundraising, seasonal gift wrapping, maintenance, data entry, surgical instrument sanitizing, retail store help, and greeting visitors).
Volunteers must be able to read, write and work independently. Additionally, we can only accept volunteers over 18 years of age. Volunteering is a privilege and the shelter reserves the right to refuse anyone from doing so.
We are looking for volunteers that can be pre-scheduled for a regular, two hour shift per week. The minimum requirement for active volunteers is eight hours a month, for a term of six months. For folks who cannot make this type of commitment, we also need Event/Outreach Volunteers.
Here are just some of the volunteer programs that might interest you:
- Dog Coach – Socialize and spend quality time with the dogs. Work to increase adoptability of the dogs in and out of their cages.
- Cat Care – Socialize and groom the cats, give them a break from the cage in the cat cuddle rooms. Help maintain care of cats by refreshing and replenishing cages.
- STAR Dog Trainer – Work with more challenging dogs that need some specialized training to help them get adopted; learn about behavior modification and dog training.
- Bunny/Small Animal Handler – Socialize the bunnies and other small furries.
- Off-Site Cat Adoption Assistant – Help off-site adoption counselors refresh and replenish cages, socialize and groom cats, and match people with potential pets.
- Foster Parent – Open up your home and heart for a short time to underage, sick, or frightened animals. Give an animal a place to stay if the kennels are full. Click here for more information about fostering.
- Adoptions Assistant – Help the adoption counselors match people with pets including walking around the adoption floor, greeting customers and answering questions. Help with profiles of animals on Petfinder.com. This can include photographing animals, writing the narrative, or updating information. Be the contact person for a particular dog or cat that interested parties can contact for more info on that pet.
- Grooming – Provide grooming services to animals, from bathing to as required. Supervise groups of one time volunteers in grooming dogs.
- Offsite Educational, Fundraising or Adoption Events – Spread the word about Humane Animal Rescue and animals for adoption at community events, schools and pet stores. (Do not need 6hrs/mth min.). Click here for more information about event volunteering.
- General Maintenance Volunteer – We are looking for skilled volunteers to assist the Maintenance Manager in general maintenance work as needed. Tasks will be assigned based on skill level. Job duties may include: grounds maintenance, small carpentry/construction projects, painting and building repairs at any of our 3 locations.
If you are interested in volunteering at HAR, please contact the appropriate site Volunteer Manager.
East End Shelter:
Immediate Openings: Education and Outreach; Dog Coaches (limited)
For more information, contact email@example.com or 412-345-7300 x235
North Side Shelter:
Immediate Openings: Morning Dog Walkers; Afternoon Dog Enrichment; Cat Care; Rabbit Care
Consider hopping into spring as a rabbit volunteer! Attend a Rabbit Romp to meet some furry friends and see if this volunteer opportunity is for you!
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-345-7300 x246